What is the main purpose/focus of every Youth and Family Ministry class?
From cradle to graduation the curriculum of every Youth and Family Ministry class at Unity North is designed to provide each child/teen with the opportunity to discover, explore and nurture a personal relationship with the presence of God within them.
The curriculum is different for each age group but the goal is always the same; to guide each child on an inward journey to find the creative power of God that lies in the center of their heart.
What tools do we use to achieve this goal? What are the common elements of every classroom?
Unity principles #1 and #2 – God is all good and active in everything, everywhere and I am naturally good because God’s Divinity is in me.
* Self esteem! We begin by recognizing and teaching the truth that every child who enters our classrooms has intrinsic value and is a beautiful and unique expression of the one!
Each child is born in “original goodness” and has something wonderful to offer the world.
* Empowerment! By allowing our children to explore their God given power we teach the unlimited potential they have as co-creators with God. We teach that every child has the amazing ability to change/direct their life through their thoughts and feelings.
Unity principle #3 – I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
* Unity! Central to every lesson is the theme that we are all one. Regardless of background, gender, ethnicity, spiritual beliefs, economic status or life situations, we are connected to all people. We honor diversity by acknowledging the value of all people as our brothers and sisters.
Unity Principles #1 and #2 – God is all good and active in everything, everyone and everywhere!
* Prayer/meditation! In every classroom there is time set aside for prayer and meditation as the greatest tool to access our divine self and our divine power.
Unity principle #4 – Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.
* Service! It is our spiritual responsibility as brothers and sisters to reach out and serve others, the environment and our community. Every class has the focus of reaching out to help others.
Unity principle # 5 – I do and give my best by living the Truth I know. I make a difference!
* Life tools! Most of all, our coordinators and teachers create an atmosphere for each child/teen to discover for themselves spiritual tools they can apply in making their lives and the world a more loving, peaceful and joyous place.
These are the basic spiritual tenets and ideals you will find in all of our classrooms. As our coordinators develop dynamic curriculum appropriate to each age group these principles will take on as many varied forms as the beautiful young people we serve. No matter the shape or texture of the lessons, these concepts are the foundation of what we offer the youngest members of our congregation.
Our Peace Pole
Built and maintained by the children of Unity North